Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Upma

Well,I'm not a huge fan of upma,infact I didn't like upma at all until I tried some at a South Indian friend's place. I loved it so much that I would always ask her to get it for my lunch whenever my Mom was out of station. And all my friends in college who were anti-upma liked it too. Ok. Enough of the history. Here's the recipe.

The Magic Makers
Oil                                                 2tbsp
Mustard seeds                              1 tsp
Finely Chopped Onion                1large
Grated Ginger                             1 inch piece
Curry Leaves                              10-15
Finely Chopped Tomato             2
Finely Chopped Green Chillies   2
Salt                                              to taste
Turmeric Powder                      1/4 tsp
Finely Chopped Carrots            1/2 cup
Peas                                            1/2 cup
Semolina                                   1 cup
Water                                       2 cups
Coriander Leaves                    1 small bunch

The Prestige
Heat Oil in a kadai. Throw in some mustard seeds. When they splutter add onion. Saute till the onion is soft. Add ginger and cook till the raw smell is gone. Throw in the curry leaves. Then add the tomatoes and cook till they are soft. Now add the chillies. (I like my food spicy , so I chopped the chillies fine, you might just long slice it to avoid the spice). now add the vegetables and cook covered till soft. Then add water and stir in salt and turmeric. My Friend's Mom told me that water should always be twice the quantity of the semolina. When the water reaches boiling point slowly stir in the semolina such that there are no lumps. Add more water if needed. Cook for 5 mins. Add chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat. Yummy South Indian Upma is Ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment